- 4 Large Artichokes stems and top 1/3rd portion removed
- 4 Cloves Garlic peeled
- 1 Lemon cut in half
- Dried or fresh Sage leaves optional
- 1 T Butter or Olive Oil extra virgin
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice off the stem and top 1/3rd of the artichoke. Immediately rub the choke all over with lemon and oil.
Next, press the garlic clove into the center the artichoke, season with salt and pepper. Place sage on the top and wrap in tinfoil.
Place the artichokes in the oven, stem side down for two hours.
Remove them from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes.
For the dipping sauce (optional): Remove the garlic clove from the artichoke, combine with sage, left over lemon juice, olive oil or unsalted organic butter.
- Note on Oil: I would recommend using clarified butter or ghee since we are roasting these artichokes at high temperatures and olive oil has a low smoke point. You can also use safflower oil or coconut oil.
- If you want a faster cook time use baby artichokes instead, they only need 1 hour to roast. The small artichokes are also nice because they don’t have a “choke” which makes them easier for kids to eat.
- When you get to the choke, scrape it out with a spoon before eating the heart of the artichoke
- Artichoke Heart -This is the meatiest and largest edible part of the plant connected to the stem. *Choke - the fuzzy prickly part of the artichoke located beneath the leaves at the core and it is inedible
Serving: 1artichoke | Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 121mg | Potassium: 523mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 23IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 2mg