Sweet Potato Tacos – These vegan tacos are so hearty and filling, you won’t miss the meat! With cumin spiced sweet potatoes and black beans over a charred crispy (gluten-free) tortilla topped with pickled onions, these tacos are to die for! They’re bound to become a favorite for taco Tuesday! Combine these tacos with my Tomatillo Salsa for even more flavor.
Affordable Vegan Fair
What I love about these tacos is that they only use a handful of ingredients that have a long shelf life, and they’re not expensive to make! Sweet potatoes (even organic) are priced reasonably. So are black beans! You can make these tacos for dinner without breaking the bank. Perfect if you are trying to stretch the dollar to feed your family.
What You’ll Need…
To make these tacos you’ll only need a few ingredients. Making the pickled onions involves a few more. But don’t worry, I’ll show you which ingredients you can substitute. So that you can make these tacos with what ever you have on hand!
The full ingredient amounts are in the recipe card below.
For the Sweet Potato Tacos
- Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Black Beans
- Corn Tortillas – optional you can also use lettuce wraps
- Salsa – optional
For the Pickled Onions
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sugar, Agave or Honey
- Kosher Salt
Black Beans – Any black beans will work. You can use canned or fresh beans. If you don’t have black beans kidney beans also work well.
Apple Cider Vinegar – If you don’t have apple cider vinegar you can use any other type of white vinegar like
- Champaign Vinegar
- White Wine Vinegar
- Red Wine Vinegar.
Onion – Any type of onion or scallion will work for the pickled onions.
Corn Tortillas – I like using corn tortillas because they’re healthier than the ones containing wheat. They have fewer ingredients and are gluten free. But you can use what ever tortillas you have on hand. Personally, I like eating these tacos in lettuce cups. You could also use taco shells. What ever works for you!
How to Make The Tacos
Get ready to start chopping because you need to hack through two sweet potatoes!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. While waiting for the oven, chop the sweet potatoes. Place them on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Toss them with olive oil, cumin and cinnamon. To ensure crispiness, arrange the sweet potatoes in a single layer so that they don’t burn. If you have two or more sweet potato chunks on top of each other they’ll steam and not roast. Leaving you with mushy tacos.
Step 2: Bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes or until they get golden. Remove them from the oven, flip and add the black beans. Roast for another 15 minutes.
Step 3: While the sweet potatoes are roasting, make the pickled onions. Combine the vinegar, chopped garlic, jalapeño, sugar, coriander and salt into a small sauce pan. Warm the mixture until the salt has dissolved. Place chopped onions in a mason jar and pour it over the onions.
Step 4: For extra crunch, toast the tortillas. I like to heat them over an open flame on the stove top. You can also put them in the toaster oven for 5 minutes instead. Take the warm tortilla and scoop a few tablespoons of the vegetables in the middle. Top with a generous helping of onions and salsa.
How to Store
Fridge – Store the sweet potatoes and black beans in one container, and the onions in another. This will keep everything dry so that the tacos don’t get soggy. They last up to 5 days in the fridge. It’s a good one to make in advance. For busy week days roast the black beans and sweet potatoes ahead of time. Reheat and assemble the tacos for a quick dinner. The pickled onions will last for one month in the fridge! You can use them on top of salads, burgers or on other tacos.
Freezer – These tacos don’t freeze well
Reheat– You can microwave the black beans and sweet potatoes for 1 minute. Or place them in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
Healthy Taco Recipe with Sweet Potatoes Black Beans and Pickled Green Onions
- Baking Sheet
- 2 Sweet Potatoes peeled and cut 1 inch cubes
- 2 T Olive Oil or 2 T Unsalted Organic Butter
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans rinsed and patted dry
- 1 Package of Corn Tortillas toasted or
- Large Lettuce Leaf collard green for Wrap
- 1 Medium Heat Jarred Salsa or Home-Made
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 T Sugar sub Agave, Maple Syrup or Stevia - optional
- 1 T Kosher Sea Salt
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper chopped with seeds removed
- 1 Garlic Clove sliced
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Small White or Sweet Onion thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F
- Toss sweet potatoes with cinnamon and butter/oil. Distribute evenly on a foil lined sheet pan. Make sure none of the potatoes are on top of each other. This will cause them to steam and get soggy instead of roasting crisply.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then flip them. Add black beans to the pan. Wait another 10 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
- For Pickled Green Onions
- Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, and spices into a small sauce pan. Bring heat up until salt is melted. Pour over scallions and store in a jar.
- To Assemble Tacos
- Take 1 tortilla or lettuce leaf and add a dollop of salsa to the center, followed by at few tablespoons of beans and potatoes. Garnish with Pickled Onions. Enjoy!