This copycat Progresso lentil soup recipe has all of the comfort of the canned version without unhealthy additives like soybean oil, maltodextrin or natural flavors. Homemade Progresso style lentil soup is also more nutrient dense than the canned version.
Of course if you’re in a rush a can of lentil soup will get the job done. But this copy cat recipe will leave you more satisfied and healthier for eating it.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. See my Affiliate Disclosure to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Why You’ll Love this Progresso Lentil Soup Recipe
If you love canned Progresso Lentil Soup then you’ll love the tomatoey flavor of this recipe is going to blow you away! This Progresso lentil soup recipe has the classic Progresso flavor you know and love but it’s much more fresh, vibrant and good for your health!
Ingredients to Make Progresso Style Lentil Soup At Home
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Garlic minced
- Bay Leaf
- Dried Oregano
- Apple Cider Vinegar
How to Make Progresso Style Lentil Soup Step by Step
- Step 1: Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Saute the onions until they’re translucent (5 minutes). Next, add the garlic. Stir for one minute. Then add the celery, carrots, bay leaf and oregano. Saute, mixing occasionally for 10 minutes
- Step 2: Add the lentils, water and another teaspoon of sea salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45 minutes with the lid slightly ajar. During the last five minutes of cooking, stir in the parsley.
- Step 3: Once the lentils are fully cooked, turn off the heat. Stir in apple cider vinegar and season with pepper.
Ingredient Substitutions for Progresso Style Lentil Soup
- Olive Oil: Instead of olive oil you can use unsalted butter or ghee
- Lentils: You can use split peas instead.
- Garlic: If you don’t have fresh garlic you can use garlic powder or Jared garlic.
- Parsley: Dried parsley works well instead of fresh parsley if you use two tablespoons.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: You don’t have to use apple cider vinegar. Any acid will work so you can use another type of vinegar or lemon juice.
How to Freeze Lentil Soup the Right Way
The best way to freeze lentil soup is to let it cool to room temperature and freeze it in single serving portions. To learn more about how to properly freeze lentil soup check out the post linked in the heading above, “How to Freeze Lentil Soup the Right Way.”
How Long Does Lentil Soup Last in the Fridge?
Both homemade and pre-packaged Progresso Lentil soup lasts for up to 5 days in the fridge if there is no meat in it. If the lentil soup has chicken or fish it will last for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Is Lentil Soup Keto Friendly and Low Carb
No unfortunately lentil soup isn’t keto friendly because lentils are naturally high in carbohydrates. One cup of lentil soup has 38 grams of carbohydrates.
Common Questions and Answers about Progresso Lentil Soup
How do you spice up Progresso Lentil Soup?
The best way to spice up a bland can of Progresso lentil soup is to add some seasoning, salt and lemon. Here is my recipe to spice up a bland can of Progresso lentil soup.
- 1 tsp of dried oregano or Italian seasoning.
- 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt.
Is Progresso Lentil Soup gluten-free?
Progresso makes a few different types of lentil soup. Here is a list of all of the gluten-free lentil soups made by Progresso.
- Progresso Lentil From Progresso Classics
- Progresso Lentil Soup with Roasted Vegetables
Is canned lentil soup good for you?
Of course fresh soup is always going to be heal it her for you than a canned lentil soup. However, as far as canned soups go, lentil is one of the healthiest types. Lentils themselves are healthy. Lentils are high in fiber, magnesium, iron, folic acid and protein. Making them a great iron rich staple for vegans and vegetarians.
Canned lentil soup is often made with vegan ingredients and with less salt than other types of canned soups. When selecting which brand of canned lentil soup to buy you should look for a gluten-free, vegan and low sodium option.
Amy’s Low Sodium lentil soup is a great choice! It’s low in calories and fat. But it’s high in protein. Amy’s lentil soup has zero sugar added, which is another healthy plus.
As far as Progresso lentil soup goes the classic lentil soup is healthier than the lentil soup with roasted vegetables. While both soups are gluten free and vegan the lentil with roasted vegetable soup has more additives.
Progresso lentil soup is mostly healthy but it is made with soy bean oil and has natural flavors added. While the Progresso lentil with roasted vegetables has added sugar and maltodextrin. Maltodextrin is even more unhealthy than sugar is.
Even though maltodextrin is approved for food use by the FDA it’s associated with negative side effects. Maltodextrin can cause stomach aches, cramps, gas and diarrhea. According to research maltodextrin has also been proven to alter gut bacteria by causing the bacteria to stick to the cells that line the intestinal wall.
What are the ingredients in Progresso Lentil Soup?
There are two types of Progresso lentil soups out there, lentil with roasted vegetables and classic lentil. Here are the ingredients for both types of Progresso lentil soup.
Progresso Classic Lentil Soup Ingredients
- Tomato Paste
- Modified Food Starch
- Contains Less than 1% of: Salt, Soybean Oil, Sugar, Natural Flavor, Yeast Extract.
Progresso Lentil Soup with Roasted Vegetables
- Red Bell Peppers
- Roasted Zucchini
- Roasted Yellow Squash
- Fire Roasted Carrots
- Modified Food Starch
- Contains Less Than 1% Of: Salt, Onion Powder, Dried Roasted Garlic, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor, Spice, Raisin Juice Concentrate, Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, Sugar.
More Lentil Soup Recipes to Try
If you love lentil soup you’ve come to the right place!
Gluten Free Chicken and Lentil Soup Recipe
This chicken and lentil soup recipe has a similar taste to this Progresso lentil soup recipe but it’s more filling since it has chicken in it.
Vegan Moroccan Red Lentil Soup Recipe
This vegan and gluten free lentil soup is so full of flavor that you’ll never want to eat anything else.
Progresso Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 Knife
- 1 Measuring Spoons
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Off Set Spatula
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 3 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks Celery chopped
- 1 C Lentils
- 8 C Vegetable Stock
- 1 handful Fresh Parsley
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Saute the onions until they're translucent (5 minutes). Next, add the garlic. Stir for one minute. Then add the celery, carrots, bay leaf and oregano. Saute, mixing occasionally for 10 minutes
- Add the lentils, vegetable stock and another teaspoon of sea salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45 minutes with the lid slightly ajar. During the last five minutes of cooking, stir in the parsley.
- Once the lentils are fully cooked, turn off the heat. Stir in apple cider vinegar and season with pepper.
Leave a Reply