How long does lentil soup last in the fridge? If you’ve stood in front of the fridge wondering if your leftover lentil soup was still safe to eat, you’re not alone. Tons of people don’t know how long lentil soup will last in the fridge. They either eat spoiled soup or throw it away before it goes bad. What a waste!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. See my Affiliate Disclosure to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Table of Contents
- How Long Does Lentil Soup Last in the Fridge
- The Five Signs of Food Spoilage
- Can Lentil Soup be Eaten Past It’s Expiration Date?
- How to Store Lentil Soup
- How to Freeze Lentil Soup the Right Way
- How Long Does Lentil Soup Last After It’s Thawed Out
- How Long Does Unopened Canned Lentil Soup Last?
- Common Questions and Answers
- Homemade Chicken and Lentil Soup Recipe
Don’t be one of those people! Read this article to learn exactly how long your lentil soup will last. I’ll go over the imperative lessons I learned in culinary school about food safety and the five signs of food spoilage.
Quick Summary: Both homemade and opened prepackaged Lentil soup lasts for up to 5 days in the fridge if there is no meat in it. If the lentil soup has chicken or fish it will last for up to 4 days in the fridge.
To learn more about food safety at home check out this helpful post on the FDA website.
How Long Does Lentil Soup Last in the Fridge
How long the lentil soup will last depends on the ingredients used to make it and if it is commercially produced or homemade. If the soup is prepackaged then the shelf life will depend on if the package was opened or not. If the lentil soup was frozen this will also change the shelf life.
The Five Signs of Food Spoilage
It doesn’t matter if your lentil soup was made at home or purchased from the store. At some point it’s going to go bad. Here are the five signs of food spoilage to look for in all foods, not only lentil soup!
- Mold Growth: If mold or any type of bacterial growth is present on the surface of the lentil soup its gone bad. Mold starts with spores and spreads. It’s commonly found on fruits and vegetables, but mold can grow on any fresh surface.
- Change In Texture: If food starts to separate or get crusty its a sure sign that it’s time to chuck it in the garbage bin.
- Change In Color of Lentil Soup: If the lentil soup color goes from light green to dark brown it has gone bad.
- Sour Taste: Spoiled food tastes bitter, sour or fermented. If your lentil soup tastes sour it’s no longer edible.
- Distinct Sour Smell – Fresh lentil soup doesn’t have a sour smell, it smells earthy and slightly nutty. But if it smells sour its best to be on the safe side and throw it out.
Can Lentil Soup be Eaten Past It’s Expiration Date?
Lentil soup has two types of dates, an “expiration date,” and a “best by,” date. An expiration date means that once the food reaches the date on that package it is no longer safe to eat. If the package has a best by date that means that while the food will degrade in quality after that date has passed, it’s still safe to eat.
You can eat lentil soup after the best by date as long as it was stored properly. This means that the package is not damaged.
How to Store Lentil Soup
Lentil soup needs to be stored in an airtight container in a fridge. If stored properly it will last five days if it’s homemade. If the soup was pre-packaged it will last for 4 days after it has been opened.
The best way to freeze lentil soup is to cool it to room temperature and then store single servings in freezer safe containers. To learn more about which containers to use and how to properly freeze and thaw lentil soup check out the post, “How to Freeze Lentil Soup the Right Way.”
How Long Does Lentil Soup Last After It’s Thawed Out
After frozen lentil soup has thawed out it will last for 3 or 4 days as long as it’s stored in the fridge in an air tight container.
How Long Does Unopened Canned Lentil Soup Last?
An unopened can of lentil soup will last for up to 3-5 years if stored properly. Make sure that the cans are not dented and store them in a cool dry pantry.
Common Questions and Answers
Is lentil soup keto friendly?
No, lentil soup is not keto friendly or low carb. Lentils are naturally high in carbohydrates.
Only one cup of lentils has 38 grams of carbs. Since most keto diets only allow for 50 grams of net carbs per day, one bowl of lentil soup would take up almost your entire daily recommended intake for carbohydrates.
Keto diets are also high in fat. Conversely, lentils are low in fat. So not only will they make you go over your carb limit but they won’t help you hit your fat quota.
How can you tell if canned lentils have spoiled?
If the canned lentils have a funky taste or an off color chances are they’ve gone bad. Also keep an eye out for mold and a sour smell.
Homemade Chicken and Lentil Soup Recipe
This easy gluten free chicken lentil soup recipe is every bit filling as it is comforting and good for you! Loaded with nutrient dense lentils, chicken and tender sautéed veggies.