Got a craving for kale? This True Food kale salad recipe is the most delicious and easy-to-make salad. It’s inspired by the Tuscan Kale salad from True Food Kitchen, one of my favorite restaurants.
If you are a fan of True Food Kitchen’s menu but can’t always make it to their restaurants, then this recipe is perfect for you!
Not only is this salad gluten-free, but it only uses only five simple ingredients and takes just a few minutes to prepare.
The best part? It tastes just as delicious as the original! So, whether you’re looking for a healthy and satisfying lunch or a side dish for your next dinner party, this True Food Kitchen Kale Salad copycat recipe is definitely worth trying out.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earnfrom qualifying purchases at no cost to you. See my Affiliate Disclosure to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Is True Food Kitchen Kale Salad Recipe Gluten Free?
This True Food Kitchen kale salad recipe is gluten free because I used gluten free bread crumbs.
What is True Food Kitchen?
The True Food Kitchen restaurant was founded in 2008 by Dr. Andrew Weil, a well-known physician and proponent of integrative medicine, along with restaurateur Sam Fox.
The concept of the restaurant was to create a menu that not only tasted great but also supported the principles of a healthy and sustainable lifestyle.
Story Behind True Food Kitchen
Dr. Weil believed that food was a crucial component of overall wellness, and the menu at True Food Kitchen reflects this philosophy. The restaurant’s dishes feature fresh, locally sourced ingredients, and are designed to be anti-inflammatory and nutrient-dense.
The menu includes a wide variety of gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan options, as well as dishes that cater to specific dietary needs such as paleo or keto.
True Food Kitchen has since expanded to multiple locations across the United States, and their mission to serve delicious, healthful food has continued to resonate with diners.
The restaurant has also become a popular destination for celebrities and health-conscious individuals who appreciate the restaurant’s focus on wellness and sustainability.
Why True Food Kitchen Is My Favorite Restaurant
I love eating at True Food Kitchen because the menu is trendy, flavorful and healthy. There’s something for everyone. It’s perfect for large and diverse social gatherings because vegans, vegetarians, gluten free eaters and meat eaters can all find something they like on the menu!
Where are True Food Kitchen Restaurants Located?
True Food Kitchen has locations in 17 states including:
- New Jersey
- New York
To find a location near you check out the True Food Kitchen Location Map.
Does True Food Kitchen Have Gluten Free Options?
Yes, in fact True Food Kitchen is one of the best restaurants you can eat at if you’re gluten free. Almost the entire menu is gluten free. They also have a gluten free menu. The kitchen has a separate area for preparing gluten free items including separate deep fryers.
Ingredients for True Food Kale Salad Recipe
- Parmesan Cheese
- Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
For the full ingredient amounts check the recipe card at the bottom of this blog post.
How to Make My Version of True Food Kitchen’s Tuscan Kale Salad
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic and half of the parmesan cheese. Shake or whisk to combine.
- Toast the breadcrumbs in a skillet over low heat until they turn golden brown. Make sure to stir them often because they’ll burn quickly.
- Shred the kale into tiny pieces or ribbon cut it into thin pieces.
- Pour the dressing over the salad along with the rest of the cheese and bread crumbs. Using clean hands massage the dressing into the kale salad until the salad shrinks to half of the original size. Serve and enjoy!
Pro Tips For Making the Best True Food Kale Salad Ever
- Massage the kale salad a few minutes before serving it.
- Add extra parmesan cheese after the salad is dressed and massaged.
- If you use too much bread crumbs the salad will get dry. Fix this by adding a little bit of olive oil.
- If the salad is too wet, add more toasted bread crumbs to absorb some of the dressing.
How to Store True Food Kale Salad
The best way to store the true food kale salad recipe is in an air tight container. I love meal prepping with this salad. Lately I’ve been making tons of the salad and dividing the leftovers into single portion containers.
These W&P Porter Ceramic Bowl Lunch Container w/ Protective Non-slip Exterior are my absolute favorite storage container for salads and Buddha bowls. They’re non toxic, heavy, and simply beautiful.
When you take the lid off you don’t feel like you’re eating out of Tupperware. The bowl feels solid and attractive. It makes me feel like I’m eating the true food kale salad at a restaurant instead of in my own kitchen!
Can You Freeze Kale Salad?
Kale salad is one of the only kinds of salad greens you can freeze successfully. I recommend that if you plan on freezing kale you should blanch it first. Although blanching kale will make it watery.
The watery kale will not allow the dressing to stick to the salad. So it won’t taste as good. You can freeze this true food kale salad after it has been made in an air tight freezer bag. Place the salad in a freezer bag and squeeze all of the excess air out.
How long will this true food Tuscan kale salad last in the freezer?
The salad will only last up to 1 month in the freezer before the texture starts to change and the flavor degrades.
How to defrost frozen true food kale salad?
Defrost the kale salad by placing it in a bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds. Then drain the excess water from the bottom of the bowl and serve.
If the salad is watery you can defrost it on a stove top in a small skillet. The heat from the stove will help extra water evaporate.
Keep in mind the salad will have the consistency of sautéed spinach after it’s been frozen. So it’s best to serve it as a warm side dish.
How Long Will True Food Kale Salad Last in the Fridge?
True Food kale salad will last for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Ingredient Substitutions for this Kale Salad Copycat Recipe from True Foods
- Lemons: If you don’t have lemons you can use limes.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese: Grated manchengo cheese tastes just like parmesan and it’s healthier!
- Gluten Free Bread Crumbs: You can use panko bread crumbs instead for extra crunch!
Which Is The Best Type of Kale for True Food’s Tuscan Kale Salad
The best type of kale for the True Food kale salad is Lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur or dino kale. Lacinato kale has flat leaves with a thick stem in the middle. After you remove the stem, lacinato kale is easily rolled up and thinly sliced into ribbons.
If you don’t have lacinato kale you can also use curly kale. The salad will have the same taste but the texture will be different. Traditional kale has curly leaves.
True Food Kale Salad Recipe (Copycat)
- Citrus Juicer
- Cutting Board
- Make the dressing. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic and half of the parmesan cheese. Shake or whisk to combine.
- Toast the breadcrumbs in a skillet over low heat until they turn golden brown. Make sure to stir them often because they'll burn quickly.
- Pour the dressing over the salad along with the rest of the cheese and bread crumbs. Using clean hands massage the dressing into the kale salad until the salad shrinks to half of the original size.
Leave a Reply