These Chickpea Tacos have it all, savory veggies, crunch and creaminess. The Chickpea & Cauliflower filling is flavored with Mexican Spices. And each taco is garnished with crunchy cabbage and carrot slaw and finished with a dollop of Vegan Avocado Crema. What I love the most about this recipe is its versatility. You can serve it three different ways… As a taco, salad or power bowl.
Ingredients for Chickpea Tacos, Cabbage Slaw and Vegan Avocado Crema
Don’t look at the recipe card and get overwhelmed. It seems like a lot of ingredients, but it really isn’t. Most of it is already sitting in your pantry. One thing I love about this recipe is that you can leave out or add the slaw and Avocado Crema depending on how much time you have to prep.
Quick Tip: The fastest way to make the slaw is to just buy a bag of pre-chopped slaw. You can get this at just about any supermarket.
Ingredients for Mexican Spice Blend
Ingredients for Chickpea and Cauliflower Taco Filling
- Lime juice
- Olive Oil
- Tortillas or Collard Greens
Ingredients for Vegan Avocado Crema
- Ripe Avocados
- Garlic Cloves
Ingredients for Cabbage and Carrot Slaw
- Red Cabbage
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400-F. Mix chick peas, spices, oil, lime and water. Roast on sheet tray in an even layer for 15 minutes. Mix then roast another 15-20 minutes until slightly charred and crispy.
Step 2: Meanwhile, for the Avocado Crema. Combine avocados, garlic and lemon juice in Cuisinart. Mix until a creamy consistency is reached. Season to taste with extra lemon and S/P.
Step 3: For The Cabbage Carrot Slaw. Combine Cabbage and Carrot with oil and massage.
Step 4: Toast the Tortillas on a stove top flame or grill. Assemble tacos with the cauliflower and chickpeas, avocado crema and slaw. Enjoy!
- Cabbage – While this recipe calls for red cabbage (for color) you can use any cabbage you like! Napa Cabbage and Green Cabbage will also work. If you don’t have cabbage you can also use any tough salad green like Collard Greens or Lacinato Kale.
- If you’re avoiding Chickpeas simply leave them out!
- Tortillas – I prefer to use gluten free corn tortillas, but you can use which ever brand you like best. If you’re avoiding grains and corn you can use a Romaine Lettuce leaf as a taco shell or a collard green to make a wrap.
- Don’t have time to chop? Use a pre-made bag of slaw instead.
As I said above, what I love about this recipe is its versatility. You can enjoy it as a taco, power bowl or a salad.
- For a quick salad you can pour the cauliflower and chickpeas over a bed of baby kale or romaine lettuce, mix in the slaw and top it with the vegan Avocado Crema. Top with your favorite creamy dressing. I like using this Dairy Free Ceasar Dressing or Spicy Green Tahini Sauce.
For a heartier comforting version of this recipe instead of loaded onto a taco shell you can serve it as a vegan power bowl! Simply Serve the ingredients segmented over a clean grain like:
These grains are easy to digest and support our body’s natural detoxification process.
More Wraps and Tacos To Try
- Sweet Potato Tacos with Black Beans & Pickled Onions
- Flank Steak Tacos with Brussels sprouts and Avocado Jalapeño Hummus
- Collard Green Wrap with Vegan Refried Beans and Spicy Green Tahini Sauce
Chickpea Tacos with Cauliflower, Avocado Crema and Simple Carrot SlawPrint Pin Rate
- Food Processor – optional
Spice Blend for Chickpeas and Cauliflower
For Chick Pea Taco Filling
- 1 head Cauliflower cut into bite sized florets
- 1 can or 1.5 cups Chickpeas cooked, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Olive, Coconut or Safflower Oil
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 bag Tortillas or Collard Greens
Avocado Crema (Optional)
- 2 Avocados
- 2 cloves Garlic Clove minced
- 1/2 C Red Cabbage green or Napa cabbage will also work
- /12 C Carrots matchstick sliced or buy the pre-cut carrots
- Preheat oven to 400-F. Mix spices together. Then combine chick peas, cauliflower, spices, oil, lime and water. Roast on sheet tray in an even layer for 15 minutes. Mix then roast for another 15-20 minutes until the cauliflower is slightly charred and crispy.
- Meanwhile, for the Avocado Crema. Combine avocados, garlic and lemon juice in cuisinart. Mix until a creamy consistency is reached. Season to taste with extra lemon and S/P.
- For The Cabbage Carrot Slaw. Combine Cabbage and Carrot with oil and massage.
- Toast the Tortillas on a stove top flame or grill. Assemble tacos with the cauliflower and chickpeas, avocado crema and slaw.