This gluten free broccoli and cheddar soup recipe is the perfect combination of cheesy and creamy. It’s just like classic comforting broccoli cheese soup you love, made with healthier ingredients. If you’re on a keto diet, eat gluten free or have celiac disease this comfort food recipe is sure to hit the spot.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. See my Affiliate Disclosure to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love This Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- Is Broccoli and Cheddar Soup Gluten Free?
- Ingredients You Need to Make Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- How to Make GF Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Is this Broccoli and Cheddar Soup Recipe Keto Friendly?
- How Many Carbs are in Broccoli and Cheddar Soup?
- Ingredient Substitutions for Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe Variations
- Nutrition Facts for Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- Can You Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
- What is the Best Way to Reheat G/F Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
- Tips To Make The Best Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 7 Best Brands of Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Is Panera Cheddar Broccoli Soup Gluten Free?
- Panera Gluten-Free Menu Guide
- Campbells Broccoli Cheese Soup Gluten Free?
- Progresso Broccoli Cheese Soup Gluten Free?
- Is Amy’s Broccoli and Cheddar Bake Gluten-Free?
- Now, Is Culver’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup Gluten Free?
- Is Cheddar Cheese Gluten Free?
- More Gluten Free Soup Recipes
- 50+ Gluten Free Soup Recipes
Why You’ll Love This Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
This broccoli cheddar soup recipe is made with clean ingredients and some tasty cheddar cheese. It’s so cheesy and tasty that it doesn’t taste healthy at all. That’s why it’s the perfect soup recipe for those transitioning to a healthier diet.
Serving gluten free broccoli cheddar soup is another sneaky way to get more veggies into your family’s diet. My daughter and her friends gobble it up, none the wiser that it’s loaded with green vegetables.
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe Is:
- Gluten Free
- Keto Friendly
- Low Carb
- Nut Free
- Soy Free
- Low Calorie
- One Pot
- Easy to Make
- Done in 30 Minutes
Is Broccoli and Cheddar Soup Gluten Free?
As far as homemade soup goes, most broccoli and cheddar soup is not gluten free. A majority of broccoli and cheddar soup recipes use all purpose flour to thicken the soup. Unless a recipe uses gluten free all purpose flour as a thickening agent the soup will have gluten in it.
My broccoli and cheddar soup recipe is gluten free because it doesn’t use any flour at all. If you wanted to make any broccoli and cheddar soup recipe gluten free you can swap out the all purpose flour for a gluten free flour like:
- Rice Flour
- Cassava Flour
- Oat Flour (make sure it’s certified gluten free since oats are often cross contaminated with wheat)
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- Tapioca Flour
- Teff Flour
- Buckwheat Flour
- Arrowroot Flour
- Sourgum Flour
- Amaranth Flour
Ingredients You Need to Make Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Unsalted Organic Butter
- Garlic chopped
- Broccoli Florets
- Almond Milk Creamer other non dairy creamers also work
- Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese
For full ingredient amounts check the recipe card at the bottom of this blog post.
How to Make GF Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Step 1: In a 4 quart soup pot melt the butter. While the butter is melting add the onions and season with salt. Don’t have to use a lot of salt because the cheese is salty enough to season the soup. Sauté the onions until they’re translucent. This should take about 5-7 minutes. While the onions are sautéing quickly rough chop the carrots into small pieces and slice the broccoli into florets.
- Step 2: You don’t have to cut the veggies neatly since they’ll be blended. Try to make them around the same size so that they cook evenly. Once the onions are soft, add the carrots and broccoli, sautés until the broccoli turns bright green (3 minutes). Next, add water, cumin and pepper. Cover the pot with a lid and allow the mixture to simmer for 10-15 minutes. (Until the carrots are cooked through).
- Step 3: Transfer the contents from the pot to a high speed blender. Blend until the soup is completely smooth. If you see pieces of fiber keep blending. A perfect emulsion is key to making it rich AND velvety. Transfer back to the pot.
- Step 4: Turn the flame to medium low, then whisk in the almond milk and grated cheese until the cheese it’s all melted together. This will prevent the cheese from sticking to the bottom of the pot and clumping. Scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure that everything is melted. Enjoy!
Is this Broccoli and Cheddar Soup Recipe Keto Friendly?
Yes, I’m happy to report that this broccoli and cheddar soup recipe is keto friendly. So if you’re on a keto diet or following a low carb lifestyle, you can eat this soup! While most broccoli and cheddar soup recipes are not keto friendly because they use flour this one is. I omitted flour and used a low carbohydrate milk (almond milk). In order to keep the carb count low.
How Many Carbs are in Broccoli and Cheddar Soup?
Every bowl of broccoli and cheddar soup as a different number of carbs. Each recipe is different. And if you’re eating store bought soup each brand of broccoli and cheddar soup uses different ingredients in amounts unique to their recipe.
Since my gluten free broccoli cheddar soup recipe is keto friendly it has only 13 grams of carbs per bowl!
Ingredient Substitutions for Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Onion – You can use any type of onion except for red or purple varieties.
Cream – Dairy Cream will work instead of oat but coconut cream and almond milk tend to separate at high heats.
Cumin – You can leave this out the soup will have plenty of flavor without it from the cheese
Butter – If you don’t have butter you can use olive oil or ghee instead.
Almond Milk – I used almond milk to keep this broccoli cheddar soup low carb and keto friendly. If you don’t have almond milk on hand you can use any other unsweetened nut milk as a keto friendly option. You can also use real heavy cream. My favorite dairy alternative to use is oat milk creamer. Keep in mind that if you use oat milk the soup will no longer be low carb.
Fresh Parsley – Instead of using a handful of fresh parsley you can use 1 tablespoon of dried parsley. If you use dried parsley add it at the beginning of the recipe not at the end. Specifically when you put the vegetables in the pot.
Can you use frozen broccoli?
Yes, you can use frozen broccoli. The broccoli will cook faster because it’s usually blanched before it’s frozen. So they’ll soften before the carrots.
Can you use frozen carrots?
You can also use frozen carrots! This will actually speed up the cooking time by about 8 minutes. Perfect if you’re in a rush.
Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe Variations
Why make gluten free broccoli cheddar soup one way when you can do three? Here are three recipe variations to try.
Make it Chunky
Are you craving chunky broccoli cheddar soup instead of this smooth and velvety version? No problem, that’s an easy fix. Here’s how to make chunky gluten free broccoli cheddar soup.
Remove a few scoops of the cooked carrots and broccoli with a slotted spoon. Blend the rest and add the whole pieces back into the pot.
Bump Up The Flavor
To bump it up a notch you can roast an extra head of broccoli florets using this Fast Lemon and Butter Roasted Broccoli recipe and stir them in. This will make the soup crunchy and even more flavorful.
Make it Vegan
If you want to make this gluten free broccoli cheddar soup vegan friendly simply swap out the butter for olive oil and the cheese for vegan cheddar cheese. For extra cheesy flavor put 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast in the soup.
Dairy Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe Variation
You can easily make this broccoli cheddar soup recipe dairy free by swapping out the butter for olive oil and ditching the cheddar cheese for vegan cheese.
Nutrition Facts for Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Serving: 1 Cup (8 fluid ounces)
- Calories: 163kcal
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 1808mg
- Potassium: 439mg
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 5g
- Vitamin A: 8426IU
- Vitamin C: 67mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- Iron: 1mg
Can You Freeze Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
Yes! This low carb soup freezes well for up to 6 months. I like to double the recipe and freeze them in pint sized containers for single servings. It’s a great soup to have on hand for busy days or last minute entertaining.
What is the Best Way to Reheat G/F Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
The trick to reheating broccoli cheddar soup is to make the soup hot enough to enjoy without burning the cheese. When broccoli and cheddar soup is cold the cheese hardens so the soup appears lumpy. You’ll know it’s fully warmed through when the soup is smooth.
In the Microwave
The trick to heating a cheesy soup in the microwave is to heat it in short bursts. Put the soup in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time. Stir the soup in between the heating intervals until it’s consistency is smooth and the temperature is warm.
On the Stovetop
Again you have to make sure not to burn the cheese. Use a small sauce pan to reheat the soup and stir it with a wooden spoon every few minutes. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any cheese bits that get stuck.
Tips To Make The Best Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Add the cheese in slowly and whisk constantly so that it melts evenly.
- Chop the broccoli florets in small pieces.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup so that you don’t have to transfer it to a blender.
7 Best Brands of Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Most brands of broccoli cheddar soup are not gluten free because they use wheat as a thickening agent. However, there are plenty of gluten free tomato soup brands that you can grab when you’re in a pinch.
- Proper Good Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Idahoan Cheddar Broccoli Hearty Soup
- Kettle & Fire, Keto Chicken Bone Broth, Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Simple Kitchen Creamy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- Taste Traditions Crean of Broccoli with Cheese Soup
- Power Provisions Cheddar Broccoli Bone Broth Soup (keto friendly)
- Imagine Foods Gluten Free Organic Creamy Broccoli Soup
Is Panera Cheddar Broccoli Soup Gluten Free?
While there are plenty of gluten free soup options at Panera, the cheddar broccoli soup is not one of them. Here’s a list of all of the gluten free soups served at Panera Bread restaurant:
- Vegetarian Summer Corn Chowder
- Turkey Chili with Beans
- Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
- Vegetarian Autumn Squash Soup
- Vegetarian Creamy Tomato Soup (Customization: Order without croutons)
If you have celiac disease or follow a gluten free diet, eating out is hard. If you find yourself at a Panera Bread Restaurant. This menu guide will show you all of the gluten free options available at Panera Bread. You’ll also find the answers to I will also common questions you might ask when ordering gluten free at Panera.
Want to learn more nutritional information, adjusted nutrition facts, and allergen facts about panera bread® check out their Food Values here. Panera Bread has a special section on their site dedicated to gluten that is called: Panera Gluten Sensitive Menu Items.
For a complete guide on what’s gluten free at Panera check out this post.
Campbells Broccoli Cheese Soup Gluten Free?
No, unfortunately Campbell’s Broccoli Cheese Soup isn’t gluten free. One of the ingredients listed is wheat flour. Wheat flour is probably used to thicken the soup.
Progresso Broccoli Cheese Soup Gluten Free?
I’m surprised and happy to report that Progresso Broccoli and Cheese Soup is officially gluten free! The soup contains no artificial flavors or artificial colors. This makes it a great affordable “ready to heat” canned broccoli cheese soup option.
Progresso sells a few different varieties of gluten free broccoli cheese soup including:
- Light Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Traditional Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Progresso Broccoli Cheese with Bacon
You can buy Progresso Broccoli Cheese Soup at most places food is sold like Target, Publix, Walmart and Costco.
Is Amy’s Broccoli and Cheddar Bake Gluten-Free?
Amy’s Broccoli and Cheese Bake Bowl may have dairy and soy in it but it doesn’t have any wheat! That means it’s gluten free. If you’re on a gluten free diet you can pop some Amy’s Broccoli and Cheddar Bake in the microwave for a quick snack that’s safe to eat.
Now, Is Culver’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup Gluten Free?
According to Culver’s website the only allergens in their broccoli cheddar soup are dairy and soy.
Is Cheddar Cheese Gluten Free?
Yes cheddar cheese is naturally gluten free because it’s made from gluten free ingredients including milk, salt, rennet and bacterial cultures.
More Gluten Free Soup Recipes
Check out 50 of the best gluten free soup recipes from Eating Works and other talented gluten free food bloggers!
Gluten Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- In a 4 quart soup pot melt butter. Add onion and season with salt. Sauté until translucent. Add Carrots and Broccoli. Sauté for another few minutes (until the broccoli turns bright green). Add water, cumin and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Blend in Vitamix and return to pot.
- Add Oat Creamer and Grated Cheese & stir in until smooth to prevent cheese from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Enjoy!