This Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream is perfect for a dairy free summer treat! It’s everything you remember about pistachio ice cream without the refined sugar and condensed milk. The best part is that this recipe is no churn, so you can Make this pistachio ice cream without an ice cream machine all you need is a standing mixer or a whisk.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. See my Affiliate Disclosure to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Table of Contents
- Ingredients You Need to Make Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- How to Make Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream with No Churning Machine?
- Ingredient Substitutions for No Churn Pistachio Ice Cream
- How to Store Pistachio Ice Cream
- How to Serve Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- Is Pistachio Ice Cream Diary Free?
- Pro Tips For Making the Best No Churn Ice Cream
- Are Pistachios Keto?
- Common Questions about Making No Churn Ice Cream
- More Vegan Deserts to Try
I hate having extra appliances around the kitchen that I have to clean. So I may be one of the only bloggers who doesn’t have an air fryer (although I kind of want one) and an instant pot. While I’m not against these things. I believe that all you need are a good set of pots, a blender, food processor and a sharp knife to create almost anything in the kitchen.
This recipe was my first attempt at vegan, no churn, ice cream and I have to say, I’m pretty darn happy with how it turned out. I can’t wait for you to try it! Especially since it’s easy to do.
Ingredients You Need to Make Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- Pistachio Nuts
- Full Fat Coconut Milk
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Extract will help prevent your ice cream from crystalizing in the freezer.
- 1/2 C Almond Milk Creamer
How to Make Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream with No Churning Machine?
Vegan ice cream gets its creaminess from a fatty base like avocado, nuts or in my recipe coconut cream. It’s easy to make, you just have to whip it!
Make the Pistachio Paste
Step 1: Take the pistachios and place them in a food processor or spice grinder. Blend on high until the nuts are broken up into a fine powder. Then add 1 tbsp of water to form the paste. If you want a dryer ice cream you can just blend the powder directly into the coconut cream.
Make the Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Machine
Step 2: Place a mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes. Open the coconut milk cans and separate the solids from the liquid. Discard the liquid part of the milk and place the solids in the mixing bowl. Beat the cream with a hand mixer until it gets light and fluffy (about 4 minutes.)
Step 3: Add the pistachio paste, sweetener, vanilla extract, almond milk and mix just until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Don’t over blend or the cream will separate. If this happens don’t worry. You can save the ice cream by placing it into the blender to smooth it out.
Step 4: Pour the mixture into a glass freezer safe container and freeze for 6 hours.
Ingredient Substitutions for No Churn Pistachio Ice Cream
- Almond Milk
- you can use any type of milk or cream you like! Thicker milks like oat work best. For creamier ice cream I also like to use a non dairy creamer instead of a non dairy milk since they tend to be thicker.
- Pistachio Nuts
- If you don’t want to go through the extra step of making the pistachio paste you can buy pistachio butter or replace it with another nut butter like almond or cashew butter. The Ice cream will have a different flavor but it will still be delicious
d heavy cream. But my pistachio ice cream recipe is vegan. So YES, it’s dairy free! If you’re on a dairy free diet, are trying to reduce inflammation, or are lactose intolerant you can still enjoy this ice cream recipe!
I don’t think any ice cream is truly healthy for you because it’s always high in sugar. But not all pistachio ice cream is created equal, some are healthier than others.
Vegan pistachio ice cream is much healthier than the regular version which uses heavy cream and condensed milk. The sugar and diary in traditional pistachio ice cream is mucus forming, reduces calcium in the bones and causes inflammation.
My vegan pistachio ice cream recipe is pretty much filled with all healthy ingredients that are nutrient dense and have healthy fats like raw pistachio nuts and coconut milk. Although it still does have sugar! My recipe uses less sugar than traditional ice creams and I use maple syrup. Maple syrup has more nutrients in it than regular cane sugar.
So you could say that Yes, this pistachio ice cream is healthy compared to the traditional kind. But NO regular pistachio ice cream is not healthy for you. It should be enjoyed in small amounts as a treat!
Pistachio ice cream is green because pistachio nuts are green. There are lots of pistachios in pistachio ice cream. So when that vibrant green pistachio paste is combined with white ice cream a light green color is formed.
Many pistachio ice creams have green food dye added to them to make it look even more green. Depending on the ratio of nuts to dairy the color may be lighter or darker. Recipes that don’t use as many pistachios will be paler so food coloring is added for a big green boost.
It’s hard to describe the flavor of pistachio ice cream but the best way I can put it is that it tastes like sweet vanilla cream with a touch of pistachio nuttiness. It goes really well with chocolate fudge!
How to Store Pistachio Ice Cream
You can store the ice cream in the freezer in an air tight container for up to 1 month, but it tastes best when it’s fresh.
How to Serve Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
You can’t serve the ice cream right out of the freezer because it will be too hard. Take it out and let it defrost for 30 minutes. Dip an ice cream scooper in hot water and use it to scoop out the ice cream.
You can serve it in a dish or on a healthy ice cream cone. I used organic sugar cones. For an extra beautiful effect you can top the ice cream with chopped pistachio nuts and chocolate syrup. You can use store bought chocolate syrup or make your own. I whipped up my own dark chocolate syrup by combining 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder.
Is Pistachio Ice Cream Diary Free?
Traditional pistachio ice cream is not dairy free because it’s made from condensed milk and heavy cream. But my pistachio ice cream recipe is vegan. So YES, it’s dairy free! If you’re on a dairy free diet, are trying to reduce inflammation, or are lactose intolerant you can still enjoy this ice cream recipe!
Pro Tips For Making the Best No Churn Ice Cream
- Flavor additives like nuts or raisins should be chopped up into tiny pieces. You can use a food processor to grind down your add in’s to save time. Chunky pieces of nuts or chocolate chips will make the ice cream pattern inconsistent.
- Always opt to use full fat ingredients. When you don’t use an ice cream machine you have to relay on the fat to make the ice cream creamy. You also need the sugar and air whipped in to create fluffiness. If you want to make a low fat ice cream you’re better of using a machine.
- Use vanilla extract in your recipe. A little vanilla extract will prevent no churn ice cream from getting icy in the freezer.
- Don’t over whip the ingredients. Only whip the ice cream until its fluffy. As soon as it’s fluffy stop whipping. Over mixing the ingredients will cause them to go flat and for the coconut cream to separate.
Are Pistachios Keto?
At first glance pistachio nuts appear to be one of the worst nuts you can eat on a keto diet because they have 7.7 grams of carbs per 28 grams or 1 ounce. But you have to look at where these carbs are coming from. A lot of the total carbohydrates in pistachio nuts come from fiber, sugars and starches.
However, they only have 4.7 grams of net carbs which are the carbs that turn into sugar (glucose) when your body breaks them down. So unless you have great self control it’s very easy to over eat them. For more information keto friendly nuts including pistachios read, “Are Pistachios Keto Friendly?“
Common Questions about Making No Churn Ice Cream
You’re no churn ice cream is likely icy because you didn’t add alcohol to it. Alcohol should always be added to no churn ice cream because it lowers the freezing point of the ice cream. I added vanilla extract to this no churn pistachio ice cream for the flavor and because it has a 35% alcohol content.
You can make your no churn ice cream softer in the same way that you prevent it from getting icy, try adding some alcohol to it. Alcohol should always be added to no churn ice cream because it lowers the freezing point of the ice cream. I added vanilla extract to this no churn pistachio ice cream for the flavor and because it has a 35% alcohol content.
If you want to make a thicker non dairy ice cream you can either use a creamy base like coconut cream or oat milk creamer or you can add cornstarch.
To add cornstarch to thicken your non dairy ice cream dissolve 2 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch in hot water. The best way to do this is by heating up the water on the stove top and whisking in the cornstarch until the mixture is smooth. Lower the heat and stir for another three minutes until the mixture gets thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Don’t forget to allow the mixture to cool off before adding it to your ice cream base.
I think that the vest vegan milk for ice cream is full fat coconut milk. Specifically the creamy portion that separates from the liquid in the can. I also like to use non dairy creamers made from oat milk to thicken non dairy ice cream. Though this non dairy pistachio ice cream is pretty thick with the almond milk creamer I used!
More Vegan Deserts to Try
- Raw Vegan Tahini Cookies
- Chocolate Truffles
Vegan Pistachio Ice Cream
- Standing Mixer
Make the Pistachio Paste
- If the pistachio nuts have skins on them blanch them in hot (not boiling) water for 1 minute. Next place them into a spice grinder or food processor and grind until they are crumbs. Add 1-2 tbsp of water to create a paste. Set aside.
Make the ice Cream
- Place a metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes. Open the cocnut milk cans. Save the solid part of the milk (cream) and discard the liquid. Place cream in the standing mixer and whip until it's fluffy. Combine pistachio paste, vanilla extract and almond milk in the mixer. Add maple syrup 1 tbsp at a time until desired sweetness is reached. Blend until combined.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture into a freezer safe container and freeze for 6 hours. Make sure the lid is tight or wrapped in foil and plastic wrap.