In this menu guide, I’ll highlight all the gluten free menu items, sides, desserts, drinks and other gf options available at Mcdonalds. I will also address any common questions asked when ordering gluten free Mcdonald’s food.
IF YOU HAVE CELIAC DISEASE YOU SHOULD NOT READ ON AND AVOID EATING AT THIS ESTABLISHMENT!
McDonald’s is the most popular fast-food restaurants in the world with hundreds and thousands of locations worldwide, serving billions! What established in 1940 in San Bernardino California as a destination for drunk-eat cravings by a man named Maurice Mcdonald, is now one of the most popular brands with the most recognizable Golden Arches.
Table of Contents
- What’s gluten-free at Mcdonald’s?
- Mcdonalds Gluten Free Menu Options
- McDonald’s Allergy Pages for Various Countries
Commonly asked questions ordering gluten-free at McDonald’s
- Are McDonald’s French fries gluten free?
- Is there gluten in a Big Mac?
- Is McDonald’s potato bun gluten free?
- Are McDonald’s chicken nuggets gluten-free?
- Do Mcdonalds hash browns have gluten?
- Do Mcdonalds burgers contain gluten?
- Are Mcdonalds apple slices gluten free?
- Are Mcdonalds milkshakes gluten free?
- Summary of Gluten Free Menu Options at McDonald’s
- Other Gluten Free Menu Guides
- Gluten Free Fast Food Articles
What’s gluten-free at Mcdonald’s?
McDonald’s doesn’t have a lot of gluten-free products and has major cross-contamination issues. Please keep that in mind if you have Celiac Disease, a severe gluten allergy or gluten sensitivity, or deal with any life-threatening food allergies. Also, keep in mind this menu guide is based off of information for the United States McDonald’s locations. McDonald’s uses different drink/ food items and ingredients worldwide, so you should check your local McDonald’s website to confirm what food items the fast-food chain serves near you.
Want to learn more nutritional information about McDonald’s foods? Check out their Potential Allergens & Food Sensitivities Guide here.
Mcdonalds Gluten Free Menu Options
These are all the gluten free options I could find at McDonald’s. Note all items listed below do not contain any gluten ingredients, based on the McDonald’s Menu. These food items still have the potential for cross contamination and other traces of gluten because of McDonalds food preparation methods, so please keep that in mind.
Drinks and Beverages
These are all of the beverages at McDonald’s that do not contain wheat or gluten ingredients:
- Milk / Chocolate Milk
- Apple Juice
- Sweet/Unsweet Tea
- Coca Cola
- Dr. Pepper
- Diet Coke
- Minute Maid Premium Orange Juice
- Minute Maid Pink Lemonade Slushie
- Minute Maid Strawberry Watermelon Slushie
- Fanta Orange
- Hi-C Orange Lavaburst
- Vanilla Shake
- Strawberry Shake
- Chocolate Shake
These are all of the gluten free dipping sauce options at McDonald’s.
- Spicy Buffalo Sauce
- Creamy Ranch Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
** High risk for cross contamination unless you get mayo packets.
It appears that McDonald’s salads are no longer offered in the US as of April 2020, and there is no information about them on the McDonalds menu any more.
These are all of the beef, and other meat options at McDonald’s that do not contain gluten ingredients. Always ask for no bun or wrap and tell them you have an gluten allergy.
- 100% Beef Patty
- Quarter Pounder
- Sausage Patty
- NEW: McPlant (Beyond Meat Mcplant Patty) available at select locations
These are all of the gluten-free dessert options at McDonald’s.
- Hot Fudge Mcdonald’s Sundae
- Hot Caramel Mcdonald’s Sundae
- McFlurry with M&M’s Candies**
** High chance for cross contamination with gluten ingredients.
The only side option that is gluten free at McDonalds is their apple slices.
Mcdonalds Gluten Free Breakfast
All breakfast items at McDonald’s contain wheat/gluten, including the hash browns and the sausage McMuffin.
These are all of the McCafe beverages at McDonald’s that do not contain gluten ingredients:
- Caramel Macchiato
- Iced Caramel Macchiato
- Caramel Cappuccino
- French Vanilla Cappuccino
- Iced Mocha
- Iced Latte
- Caramel Latte
- Iced Caramel Latte
- French Vanilla Latte
- Iced French Vanilla Latte
- Famous Premium Roast Coffee
- Iced Coffee
- Iced Caramel Coffee
- Iced French Vanilla Coffee
- Caramel Frappe
- Mocha Frappe
- Hot Chocolate
- Classic Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Mango Pineapple Smoothie
McDonald’s Allergy Pages for Various Countries
- McDonald’s Canada Nutrition: https://www.mcdonalds.com/ca/downloads/AllergenFacts_CA_EN.pdf
- McDonald’s UK Allergen Guide: https://www.mcdonalds.com/content/dam/uk/nfl/pdf/nutrition/allergen-booklet-UK-28042021.pdf
- McDonald’s Belgium Allergens Page: https://mcdonalds.be/en/additional-information-about-allergens
- McDonald’s Cyprus FAQ: https://www.mcdonalds.com.cy/yrtk
- McDonald’s Australia Nutritional Information: https://mcdonalds.com.au/maccas-food/nutrition
- McDonald’s New Zealand Food Allergens: https://mcdonalds.co.nz/sites/mcdonalds.co.nz/files/Main%20Food%20Menu%20-%20Allergen%2C%20Ingredients%20and%20Nutrition%20Information.pdf
- McDonald’s Japan Allergens & Nutrition List: https://www.mcdonalds.co.jp/en/quality/allergy_Nutrition/allergy/
- McDonald’s Korea FAQ: http://www.mcdonalds.co.kr/eng/story/competition/faq.do
- McDonald’s Singapore Allergens Listing: https://www.mcdonalds.com.sg/allergens-listing/
- McDonald’s Egypt Nutrition & Allergens: https://www.mcdonalds.eg/nutritionandallergens
Commonly asked questions ordering gluten-free at McDonald’s
Are McDonald’s French fries gluten free?
McDonald’s famous French fries uses a small amount of natural beef flavoring in their fries and that flavoring contains wheat (their labeling says that the fries contain “natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients”). McDonald’s locations do use a dedicated fryer that contains only pure vegetable oil and the fries have been independently tested and shown to contain no gluten. However the general rule of thumb is if you are highly sensitive to gluten or have celiac disease you should avoid consuming Mcdonalds fries at all costs.
Is there gluten in a Big Mac?
The 100% beef patty,, pickles, onions and lettuce in the iconic Big Mac® does not have any gluten-containing ingredients. Make sure to ask for no bun and no Big Mac sauce!
Is McDonald’s potato bun gluten free?
While McDonald’s doesn’t offer a gluten-free bun, it’s still possible for customers with a gluten allergy to enjoy their extensive range of burger options. When ordering, you can simply order your favorite burger on no bun and ask for a lettuce-wrapped burger instead
Are McDonald’s chicken nuggets gluten-free?
Unfortunately the McNuggets contain wheat flour and therefore are not gluten free.
Do Mcdonalds hash browns have gluten?
The McDonald’s website makes it clear that their hash browns are not gluten-free. On the McDonald’s online ingredients list for this food item, there is an asterisk for their “natural beef flavor” ingredient. This asterisk says their natural beef flavor “contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.”
Do Mcdonalds burgers contain gluten?
A McDonald’s hamburger, cheeseburger, Quarter Pounder®, and Big Mac® are all gluten free IF eaten without the bun. All your favorite McDonald’s burgers are made with 100% beef; so they’re not ‘beefed up’ with any cereal, rusk or flour.
Are Mcdonalds apple slices gluten free?
Yes. The sliced apples and accompanying caramel dip are gluten-free.
Are Mcdonalds milkshakes gluten free?
All flavors of McDonald’s shakes are gluten-free. Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream: The vanilla ice cream, served in a cup, is a great treat as it is highly unlikely to become contaminated with gluten through contact with other foods.
Summary of Gluten Free Menu Options at McDonald’s
Pro tips and a quick summary of everything gluten free at McDonald’s
- McDonald’s has very limited gluten-free options for people with severe gluten allergies and Celiac Disease.
- When you order, tell them you have an allergy or Celiac Disease so they take precautions with your meal.
- McDonald’s has different items internationally, this menu guide is just based off the US!
- All mccafe shakes, frappes, lattes, hot chocolate, shakes, and McDonalds smoothies are safe to enjoy!
Other Gluten Free Menu Guides
- Panera Gluten Free Menu Guide 2022
- Cheesecake Factory Gluten Free Menu Guide 2022
- Panda Express Gluten Free Menu Guide 2022
- Jack In The Box Gluten Free Menu Guide 2022
- Starbucks Gluten Free Menu Guide 2022
- KFC Gluten Free Menu Guide 2022
Gluten Free Fast Food Articles
- Are Starbucks Egg Bites Gluten Free?
- Is Panda Express Orange Chicken Gluten Free?
- Are Panera Chips Gluten Free?