This Keto friendly Cheddar and Broccoli Soup is velvety smooth and creamy. It’s perfect for a quick dinner because it takes 30 minutes or less to make! You’re bound to love this Panara bread copycat recipe! Best part is that it’s low carb and about as clean and healthy as broccoli and cheese soup gets!
This post was sponsored by Cabot Cheese. While I don’t normally eat cow dairy, I was excited to work with this legendary brand. This healthy cheesy broccoli soup is made with clean ingredients + cheese. It’s perfect for people transitioning to a healthier diet. Or as a sneaky way to get more veggies into your family’s diet. My daughter and her friends gobbled it up, none the wiser that it was loaded with broccoli.
This cheddar and broccoli soup CHEAP to make. Since I used common ingredients like broccoli, carrots, water, non-dairy creamer and cheese… There isn’t anything that will break the bank.
How to make Keto Cheddar and Broccoli Soup
This soup is simple to make. You don’t have to do anything fancy.
Step 1: In a 4 quart soup pot melt the butter. While the butter is melting add the onions and season with salt. Don’t have to use a lot of salt because the cheese is salty enough to season the soup. Sauté the onions until they’re translucent. This should take about 5-7 minutes. While the onions are sautéing quickly rough chop the carrots into small pieces and slice the broccoli into florets.
You don’t have to cut the veggies neatly since they’ll be blended. Try to make them around the same size so that they cook evenly. Once the onions are soft, add the carrots and broccoli, sautés until the broccoli turns bright green (3 minutes). Next, add water, cumin and pepper. Cover the pot with a lid and allow the mixture to simmer for 10-15 minutes. (Until the carrots are cooked through).
Step 2: Transfer the contents from the pot to a high speed blender. Blend until the soup is completely smooth. If you see pieces of fiber keep blending. A perfect emulsion is key to making it rich AND velvety. Transfer back to the pot.
Step 3: Turn the flame to medium low, then whisk in the Oat Creamer and Grated Cheese until the cheese it’s all melted together. This will prevent the cheese from sticking to the bottom of the pot and clumping. Scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure that everything is melted. Enjoy!
Which Type of Pot is Best?
I personally prefer making broccoli soup in a cast iron soup pot (but any pot will do). If you’re using a cheap stainless steel pot you’ll have to mix the soup more often to make sure that it doesn’t burn. Steel pots don’t disperse heat evenly throughout the bottom of the pan. So they tend to be hotter in one spot and cold in another.
This soup requires only a handful of commonly found ingredients, making it easy and affordable! It costs about 4 dollars per serving if you use organic ingredients!
- Non-Dairy Creamer I prefer oat
- Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Can you use frozen broccoli?
- Yes! You can use frozen broccoli. The broccoli will cook faster because it’s usually blanched before it’s frozen. So they may cook a lot faster than the carrots.
- You can also use frozen carrots! This will actually speed up the cooking time by about 8 minutes. Perfect if you’re in a rush.
can you freeze the soup?
Yes! This low carb soup freezes well for up to 6 months. I like to double the recipe and freeze them in pint sized containers for single servings. It’s a great soup to have on hand for busy days or last minute entertaining.
Onion – You can use any type of onion except for red or purple varieties.
Cream – Dairy Cream will work instead of oat but coconut cream and almond milk tend to separate at high heats.
Cumin – You can leave this out the soup will have plenty of flavor without it from the cheese.
For Chunky Soup– Remove a few scoops of the cooked carrots and broccoli with a slotted spoon. Blend the rest and add the whole pieces back into the pot. To bump it up a notch you can roast an extra head of broccoli florets using this Fast Lemon and Butter Roasted Broccoli recipe and stir them in. This will make the soup crunchy and even more flavorful.
More Soup Recipes
- Cream-less Tomato Soup with Fire Roasted Tomato and Cumin
- Miso Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Split Pea Soup
Made this recipe? I would love to see it! Please share it with me on instagram with #healthyfood4healthybodies or #eatingworks Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and join our community on Facebook and Like our Facebook Page to get the latest recipes!
Keto Cheddar and Broccoli Soup
- 4 Quart Soup Pot
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Organic Butter
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 3 Carrots Peeled & Chopped (small pieces)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 3-4 C Broccoli Florets
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 2 C Water
- 1.5 C Oat Milk Creamer other non dairy creamers also work
- 8 oz Cabot Vermont Sharp Cedder Cheese grated
- In a 4 quart soup pot melt butter. Add onion and season with salt. Sautés until translucent. Add Carrots and Broccoli. Sautés for another few minutes (until the broccoli turns bright green). Add water, cumin and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Blend in Vitamix and return to pot.
- Add Oat Creamer and Grated Cheese & stir in until smooth to prevent cheese from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Enjoy!