Vegan Mushroom Soup – All of the richness of cream of mushroom soup without dairy. You’ll love its rich flavor and velvety texture.
This vegan mushroom soup is perfect for rustic lunches and upscale holiday dining. I serve it for Thanksgiving every year! Anyone who loves mushrooms is going to “dig” into this soup.
Vegan Mushroom Soup is Easy to Make
- This recipe is a one pot dish
- I use Sherry wine but you can use any type of light wine you have on hand.
- The most labor intensive part of this recipe is cleaning and cutting the cremini mushrooms 🍄. You can buy the pre-washed and pre-cut mushrooms.
- Instead of using traditional wheat flour I use almond flour to thicken the vegan mushroom soup. But you can use any flour you have on hand or leave it out completely. The soup will be thick even without the flour.
How to Clean Cremini Mushrooms
Step 1: Place the mushrooms in a bowl of water and shake them around. Remove them from the bowl and place them on a towel to pat dry. Discard the dirty water.
Step 2: Slice the mushrooms with a pairing knife into quarter inch slices and remove woody stems.
How to Make Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Step 1: In a one gallon soup pot heat oil or butter on a medium flame. Once the oil starts to shimmer, add the shallots, mushrooms and salt to the pot. Sweat for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Step 2: Add sherry wine and continue to sauté until the pot is almost dry. (Add in the flour and stir for another five minutes (optional)).
- Step 3: pour the vegetable stock into the pot while whisking the the vegetables and broth. Raise the heat to High until the soup begins to boil. Once boiling reduce the heat to low medium and let the soup simmer, with the lid ajar, for 30 minutes.
- Step 4: Puree soup in a blender until creamy. If you are using a vitamix ladle the soup into the blender only half way. Cover the lid with a dish towel and slowly turn the blender up to the highest setting. Repeat until all of the soup is blended. Return to the pot to reheat and add fresh pepper.
step 2 is optional. I use some flour to thicken the soup but you can leave it out and skip this step.
How to Store Left Over Soup
This soup will last in an air tight container in the fridge for 5 days.
Pro Meal Prep Tip: Vegan cream of mushroom soup freezes well. So I like to make it ahead. After you’ve cooked the soup allow it to cool. Store it in plastic 2 pint containers and freeze them for up to 6 months! You’ll get 4 hearty servings of soup this way.
How to Reheat Leftover soup
- Microwave: Take the frozen soup container and run it under hot water for about a minute. This will loosen the soup so you can get it out of the container. Place the soup in a bowl and put a plate above it and below it. Nuke the soup for 2 minutes. Then stir. Repeat this another two times.
- Stove top. Place the soup in a small sauce pan and simmer for ten minutes on low heat. Stir occasionally.
Are Crimini Mushrooms Healthy?
Mushrooms are one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Most people don’t eat enough of them because they are not commonly used. Typical mushrooms are expensive, but Crimini mushrooms are both inexpensive and just as healthy as their pricer cousins.
Mushrooms are known to have anticancer properties. They are high in conjugated linoleic acid which has been shown to prevent the growth of cancer cells. Especially breast cancer in women because compounds found in crimini mushrooms inhibit estrogen’s negative effects. Crimini mushrooms have been shown to kill harmful cells!
Ergothioneine (EGT) is an amino acid found in mushrooms associated with cardiovascular benefits such as decreased inflammation. EGT also helps protect damaged blood vessels and prevents red blood cell disorders. Crimini mushrooms also help lower cholesterol and have zero cholesterol in them. So this vegan mushroom soup has no cholesterol. Making it the perfect comforting snack for those who have suffered from cardiac arrest, heart disease
These powerful little button mushrooms are also rich in B vitamins. This means that they help fight fatigue! Crimini Mushrooms technically don’t have Vitamin D but they produce vitamin D when placed in the sun.
Crimini mushrooms are also great for gut health. They are high in Selenium and Potassium which help fortify the gut lining. So mushrooms help make our gut stronger so that toxins and pathogens don’t permeate the lining of the intestine and get into our blood stream to make us sick. Since Crimini Mushrooms help heal leaky gut syndrome they are great for immune health.
With all of these benefits crimini mushrooms are a must have menu item! For more detailed information on the health benefits of mushrooms check out this article!
For More Healthy Creamless Soups Check Out These Recipes
- Creamless Tomato Soup with Red Pepper Chili Flakes
- Simple Cream of Cauliflower With Sun-dried Tomato Tapenade
- Spring Pea Soup
- Curried Cauliflower Soup
Vegan Mushroom Soup
- 2 T Safflower, Coconut, or Almond Oil you can also use butter for non vegan version
- 4 Shallots finely diced
- 1 lb Crimini Mushrooms wasthed, stems removed and sliced, or two boxes of pre sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 C Sherry Wine any wine you have on hand will do
- 1/4 C Oat, Almond Flour All purpose flour is fine too if you are not making this recipe gluten free
- 4 C Low Sodium Vegetable Stock or water if you don't have stock
- pinch Black Pepper
🥣For the Mushroom Soup
- In a one gallon soup pot heat oil or butter on a medium flame. Once the oil starts to shimmer, add the shallots, mushrooms and salt to the pot. Sweat for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add sherry wine and continue to saute until the pot is almost dry. (Add in the flour and stir for another five minutes (optional)).
- pour the vegetable stock into the pot while whisking the the vegetables and broth. Raise the heat to High until the soup begins to boil. Once boiling reduce the heat to low medium and let the soup simmer, with the lid ajar, for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in a blender until creamy. If you are using a vitamix ladle the soup into the blender only half way. Cover the lid with a dish towel and slowly turn the blender up to the highest setting. Repeat until all of the soup is blended. Return to the pot to reheat and add fresh pepper.
- Always make sure to make sure the lid of the blender is tightly secured. Always place a dish towel over the top of the blender. This will catch any hot liquid so that you don't get burned.
- Turn the blender's speed up slowly from the lowest setting to the highest. This will prevent the soup from creating a vacuum in the blender. If a vacuum is formed the soup could explode out of the blender. Resulting in burns and a mess.