This Chicken avocado toast recipe is always a crowd pleaser! Are you looking for a healthy and gluten free breakfast/lunch dish that will keep you satisfied for hours? Look no further than chicken avocado toast!
This tasty meal combines protein-rich grilled chicken with creamy avocado spread on top of crispy gluten-free bread. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also packed with nutrients and flavor.
In this post, we’ll cover everything you need to know about making the perfect chicken avocado toast, from ingredient lists to expert tips and tricks. So, let’s get cooking!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. See my Affiliate Disclosure to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love This Chicken Avocado Toast
- Ingredients For Chicken Avocado Toast
- How to Make Chicken Avocado Toast
- Equipment for Chicken and Avocado Toast
- Is Avocado on Toast Healthy?
- Is Grilled Chicken and Avocado Good for You?
- Is Avocado Healthier Than Butter Toast?
- How to Pick The Perfect Avocado for Avocado Toast with Chicken
- Can I Use Leftover Chicken?
- Can I Make Chicken Avocado Toast in Advance
- How to Store This Avocado Toast
- How Long Does Avocado Toast Last?
- Best Gluten Free Bread for Chicken Avocado Toast
- Can You Freeze Chicken & Avocado Toast?
- How Many Calories are in Chicken and Avocado Toast?
- More Gluten Free Topping Ideas for Avocado Toast with Chicken
- Expert Tips and Tricks for Perfect Chicken and Avocado Toast
- More Lunch Recipes to Try
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Avocado Toast
- Gluten Free
- Paleo Friendly
- Nut Free
- Soy Free
Ingredients For Chicken Avocado Toast
- Gluten Free Bread
- Red Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
For full ingredient amounts check the recipe card at the bottom of this blog post.
How to Make Chicken Avocado Toast
- Toast your bread until it’s nice and crispy in a toaster oven.
- While the bread is toasting, mash up your avocado in a bowl and add salt lemon and pepper to taste.
- Once the bread is done, spread the avocado mash onto each slice.
- Add the shredded chicken, chopped herbs, chives and red peppers on top of the avocado spread.
Equipment for Chicken and Avocado Toast
Is Avocado on Toast Healthy?
Yes avocado toast is healthy compared to lots of other breakfast items like bacon, waffles, pancakes and French toast.
According to Medical News Today, avocados are high in “vitamins C, E, K, and B6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and potassium.
They also provide lutein, beta carotene, and omega-3 fatty acids. Avocados contain high levels of healthy, beneficial fats, which can help a person feel fuller between meals.”
Gluten free bread is easier to digest and is usually made from healthier grains like oats and quinoa. Traditional bread is made from white flour which isn’t healthy.
Additionally, avocado toast is low in sugar, high in fiber, high in nutrition and mostly plant based.
Is Grilled Chicken and Avocado Good for You?
Yes grilled chicken and avocado is great for you. Grilled chicken and avocado is a popular combination of food for people on keto diets because they’re high in fat and low in carbs.
Grilled chicken and avocados are also naturally gluten free. On top of that its a filling and tasty combination.
Is Avocado Healthier Than Butter Toast?
Well, that’s a bit of a no-brainer. Avocado is definitely a healthier option than butter, as it’s packed with healthy fats, fiber, and nutrients, whereas butter is high in saturated fat and calories.
How to Pick The Perfect Avocado for Avocado Toast with Chicken
There’s no question about it, the avocado will either make or break your chicken avocado toast. You have to pick a great avocado to make it.
If the avocado is too old the avocado toast will have a bacon aftertaste. In addition, if the avocado isn’t ripe the avocado toast wont be creamy.
Here is my secret for picking the perfect avocado. I’ve been doing this for years and it works every time.
When an avocado is picked, the stem is trimmed, leaving a small nub that looks like a tiny brown button.
The best way to know when an avocado is perfect for making avocado toast is when the nub on the top of the avocado pops off easily. When the avocados are under ripe the nub will not come off. But as soon as it’s ripe and ready to go, the nub will fall off with the flick of a finger.
Can I Use Leftover Chicken?
Yes, in fact using left over chicken is the best for avocado toast. You don’t need much chicken for this recipe and the avocado toast tastes great no matter how you cook the chicken.
I’ve made this avocado toast with shredded grilled, baked and boiled chicken. All of them tasted great! The crusty bread, creamy avocado and herbs add tons of flavor to bland chicken.
Take your left over chicken and shred it by using two forks to pull it apart. Or you can cut it into chunks! I prefer to shred my chicken for avocado toast because it goes on more easily and covers the whole toast. So that every bite has some chicken in it.
Can I Make Chicken Avocado Toast in Advance
Chicken avocado toast is just one of those recipes that tastes the best eaten right after it’s made. That way the toast is still warm and crispy, the avocado isn’t brown and the chicken isn’t dried out.
But if you have to make chicken avocado toast in advance, know that you can make it a few hours ahead of time.
Once an avocado is cut it goes bad and turns brown pretty fast. If you mix the avocado with lemon juice then the avocado toast will stay fresh for up to 3 hours in the fridge.
So yes you technically can make chicken avocado toast in advance. But it tastes the best hot off the stove top.
How to Store This Avocado Toast
If you want to make chicken avocado toast in advance, the best way to do it is to store the ingredients separately. You can keep the toasted bread in one container, the herbs and roasted peppers in another.
And wait until you’re ready to serve the toast to slice open the avocado. However, if you want to mash the avocado ahead of time add lemon juice to it to keep it from turning brown.
How Long Does Avocado Toast Last?
Chicken avocado toast will last for up to 24 hours in the fridge assembled. If you store it unassembled and wait until you serve to slice the avocado it will last for up to 3 days.
Best Gluten Free Bread for Chicken Avocado Toast
- Against The Grain
- Food For Life (vegan and gluten-free)
- Canyon Bakehouse
- Three Bakers Great Sea Whole Wheat 7 Grain Bread
- Base Culture Grain Free Keto and Gluten Free Bread
Can You Freeze Chicken & Avocado Toast?
You technically could freeze the toast, but I don’t recommend it. When avocados are frozen their texture changes.
When the water in the avocado expands it ruins the natural texture of the avocado. When you take the chicken avocado toast out of the freezer the avocado goes from smooth and creamy to watery and slimy.
How Many Calories are in Chicken and Avocado Toast?
One piece of avocado toast with chicken has 533 calories.
More Gluten Free Topping Ideas for Avocado Toast with Chicken
There are endless gluten-free topping options for chicken avocado toast, so feel free to get creative! Here are a few delicious topping ideas to get you started:
- Sliced tomatoes and fresh basil
- Crumbled feta cheese and red pepper flakes
- Grilled corn and chopped cilantro
- Sliced hard-boiled egg and everything bagel seasoning
- Roasted red peppers and sliced black olives
- Smoked salmon and capers
- Crispy bacon and sliced scallions
- Grilled mushrooms and sautéed onions
- Pico de gallo and cotija cheese
- Arugula and balsamic glaze
The possibilities are endless, so don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors and textures!
Expert Tips and Tricks for Perfect Chicken and Avocado Toast
These tips are the difference between restaurant quality avocado toast and not so fabulous toast:
- Use thick slices of gluten free bread and toast it well. Brush butter or olive oil onto the sides of the bread and toast them in a skillet or in a toaster oven. Make sure a crispy golden crust forms on the outside of the bread. This will keep the bread from getting soggy from the avocado. And it will add a satisfying crunch to every bite.
- Choose good avocados. Above I shared my tips for picking the perfect avocado, “The best way to know when an avocado is perfect for making avocado toast is when the nub on the top of the avocado pops off easily.”
- Mash the avocado with lemon and salt separately. Then add it onto of the toasted bread.
- Use big flakey pieces of salt and fresh ground black pepper to season the avocado toast. My favorite flaky salt is Maldon Sea Salt.
More Lunch Recipes to Try
Gluten Free Chicken Avocado Toast
- Brush olive oil onto the bread. Toast the bread to your desired level of crispness.
- While the bread is toasting, prepare the avocado by cutting it in half and removing the pit. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash it with a fork until it is smooth.
- Add the shredded chicken, chopped red peppers, lemon, chives, cilantro, red pepper flakes, and salt and black pepper to taste to the bowl with the mashed avocado. Mix everything together until it is well combined.
- Once the bread is done toasting, spread the avocado chicken mixture onto the slices of bread.