Whenever I get into a food rut I tend to peruse cook books for inspiration. Since all of my recipes are both detox and digestive health conscious, I am usually limited to those recipes that pique my interest.
Even when I find recipes, I generally have to augment them to fit my diet. This process is easy for me and one that I teach my clients to do as well!
This roasted carrot recipe is exactly one of those! I found this original recipe in Bobby Flay Fit. I tried it, added my usual swaps… And it worked!
This recipe was so delicious I felt like I just had to share it with you. Even though it wasn’t an Eating Works original I’ve swapped out a few of the ingredients in my recipe below and have taken my own photos.
This dish was so rich in flavor with the caramelized carrots, aromatic spices and creamy spicy sauce. I felt fully satisfied. I used goat yogurt for the recipe, but you could easily swap this out for coconut yogurt to make the recipe vegan!
By swapping out the goat for coconut you will also be able to combine this dish with other starchy meals. With the goat yogurt it combines as a protein dish.
I can’t wait to make this again. I also can’t wait for you to try it!
Roasted Carrots with Spanish Spices and Harissa Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 C Plain Goat Yogurt
- 1 T Harissa
- 1 T Parsley finely chopped
- 1 T Cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Thyme dried
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest finely grated
- 1 Pound Baby Carrots tops removed but with a little green left attached, use real baby carrots not large ones that have been whittled down
- 3 T Unsalted Organic Butter or 3T Coconut Oil
- 2 T Paprika dried and ground
- 1/2 tsp cumin dried and ground
- 1/2 tsp mustard dried powdered
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seed dried ground Whole if you cannot get it or have a spice grinder
- 2 T Brown Sugar or Stevia to taste (optional)
- 1. Bring a pot of well-salted water to boil. Set up a bowl of salted ice water. While water is boiling prepare carrots. Blanch carrots in boiling water for 5 minutes. Immediately transfer to the ice bath.
- 2. Wish together yogurt, harissa, sparsely, thyme, cilantro and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside
- 3. Heat oil in a medium non stick skillet. Add paprika, cumin, mustard, fennel and sugar and bloom for 1 minute/. Add carrots and sauce until carrots are soft.
- Season with Salt and Pepper. To serve place carrots on a platter and drizzle sauce on top. I like to serve them right out of the skillet nice and hot!